The Spring 2022 Meeting of the ACS Council was held virtually on March 23rd, 2022.
Actions of the Council
Candidates for President-Elect, 2023
- The Committee on Nominations and Elections presented to the Council the following nominees for selection as candidates for President-Elect, 2023: Frank Blum, Mary Carroll, Rigoberto Hernandez, and Ingrid Montes. By electronic ballot, the Council selected Marry Carroll and Rigoberto Hernandez as candidates for 2023 President-Elect. These two candidates, along with any candidates selected via petitions, will stand for election in the Fall National Election.
Other Council Actions
Committee on Committees Actions
- The Council approved the Petition to Amend the Duties of the Committee on Chemists with Disabilities. This petition sought to change the language in the duties of CWD from students to persons to be more inclusive to ACS members of all levels and backgrounds participating in the Society’s meetings and events.
- The Council approved the continuation of the Committee on Chemists with Disabilities.
- The Committee on Committee reviews each Society Committee no less often than every five years and advises the Board of Directors and Council whether they should be continued. Council completed the performance review for the Committee on Chemists with Disabilities and recommended its continuation.
Committee on Budget & Finance Petition
▪ The Council approved the Petition to Amend the Use of Dues.
The petition has two major components. The first changes the basis for developing the total pool of allotments available for local sections and technical divisions. The second eliminates the connection between dues revenue and C&EN.
The total resource pool available for distribution to Local Sections and Divisions will be funded via a quasi-endowment established from the Society’s unrestricted investment balances. This replaces the previous pool that was funded through the allocation of 20% of dues revenue to local sections and divisions.
Committee on Divisional Activities Action
▪ The Council approved a division name change.
Effective January 1, 2023, the Division of Carbohydrate Chemistry (CARB) will change its name to the Division of Carbohydrate Chemistry & Chemical Glycobiology (CARB).
Committee on International Activities Petition
▪ The Council approved a Petition to Charter an International Chemical Sciences Chapter
This petition, contingent on approval by the ACS Board of Directors, allows for a new International Chemical Sciences Chapter in Switzerland.
Committee on Membership Affairs
▪ The Council approved the extension of market testing of the international dues discount program based on World Bank country income levels.
The test provides reduced dues for international members residing in emerging nations, which host an ACS chapter, and as defined by World Bank income criteria. The test results to date have suggested a positive impact on membership through new members and the expanded inclusivity that a wider global community provides.
▪ The Council approved the 2023 Schedule of Membership
The 2022 Schedule went live a few short months ago, and the 2023 Schedule was designed to add more value and increased choice for membership by adding clarity and a more intuitive explanation of how our membership works.
The 2023 Schedule of Membership did not change any dues, benefits, eligibility, or privileges from the 2022 Schedule.
If you have any comments or questions regarding membership or benefits, please contact your Councilor, Darlene Slattery at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 321-632-2535.