In 2020, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the Orlando Section has a successful year. Its achievements for the year included the development of Strategic Plan, being named host for the SERMACS 2025 meeting, expanding our social media presence to keep our members up-to-date on section happenings virtually, sponsoring a joint student-run seminar series, and continuing to recognize our excellent members for their hard work and accomplishments.
With the above momentum, the Orlando Section aims to achieve its goals as outlined in its Strategic Plan, but they cannot be done without your help. If you wish to provide a helping hand, please check out the call for volunteers and get in touch with current officers.
Hope you have healthy and successful years!
- July 2021’s NewsletterHello Orlando Section! In this Newsletter, we want to bring your attention to a few exciting opportunities that are available to our members. The Orlando Local Section offers travel awards to students to attend the Florida Annual Meeting and Exposition (FAME), the Southeastern Regional Meeting of The American Chemical Society (SERMACS 2021), and the 262nd […]
- 2021 Student Travel AwardsTo encourage participations of students in local, regional, and national conferences organized by of the American Chemical Society and its affiliates and to create opportunities for students to enhance their scientific experiences and networking, the Orlando Local Section of the American Chemical Society offers travel awards to students who are in need of financial supplement […]
- CATL Division Fall 2021 Student Travel AwardsThe Catalysis Science and Technology (CATL) Division solicits applications for CATL-ChemCatBio Graduate Student Travel Awards that will cover the registration fee of graduate students presenting at the Fall 2021 ACS National Meeting scheduled to be held from 22-26 August 2021. The travel awards aim to further the shared goals of the ACS CATL (https://www.acs-catalysis.org/) and ChemCatBio […]
- Call for nominations for Southern Chemist AwardThe Memphis Local Section of the American Chemical Society seeks nominations for its 2021 Southern Chemist Award, which recognizes distinguished service to the chemical profession in the southern US. Nominees should be US citizens who have worked in the South for at least 10 years and have at least a 10-year record of accomplishment. In […]
- June 2021’s NewsletterHello Orlando Section! Hope that you are having a great start to the summer. In this short Newsletter, beside other information, we want to bring your attention to upcoming the Florida Annual Meeting and Exposition (FAME) and the 72nd southeastern regional meeting of the American Chemical Society (SERMACS 2021). As you may have seen in […]
- CCEW 2021: Orlando Section at Central Florida EarthdayThe Orlando Local Section took part in the Central Florida Earthday on April 25th, 2021 at Lake Eola (Downtown Orlando) to celebrate the Earth Week. This effort was led by Dr. Titel Jucar (UCF) and volunteers. Unlike previous years which had hands on activities for children, this was limited due to CDC guidance for physical […]
- Local Participants in the 2021 U.S. National Chemistry OlympiadThe Orlando Section sponsored the participants of local student in the 2021 U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad (USNCO). Exams were taken in an online format, starting with the Local Exam, on March 27 and 28, 2021. 37 high school students from seven high schools in the Orlando Section 7 county area. Ten students were nominated from […]
- The State Science & Engineering Fair of Florida 2021: Avogadro award winnerCongratulations to Vedant Karalkar from the Alachua County’s Eastside High School junior for winning the 2021 Avogadro award! Also, the student is the Grand Award Winner at the state science fair, which was held virtually from March 28 through April 1, won special awards from the Yale Science and Engineering Association, the United States Office […]
- SERMACS 2025: Call to actionHello Orlando Section! As many of you already know, we recently announced that the Orlando Section will be hosting the 2025 Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society (SERMACS) in Orlando, FL on October 19-22, 2025. Although the meeting is over four years out, we have already begun the planning process and have lots […]
- Councilor’s Report: 261st National Meeting, Spring 2021The Spring Council meeting was again held virtually due to the ongoing global COVID-19 pandemic. The meeting was held on March 24, in advance of the National Meeting. Actions of the Council Election Results Candidates for President-Elect, 2022 The Committee on Nominations and Elections presented to the Council the following nominees for selection as candidates […]