In 2020, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the Orlando Section has a successful year. Its achievements for the year included the development of Strategic Plan, being named host for the SERMACS 2025 meeting, expanding our social media presence to keep our members up-to-date on section happenings virtually, sponsoring a joint student-run seminar series, and continuing to recognize our excellent members for their hard work and accomplishments.
With the above momentum, the Orlando Section aims to achieve its goals as outlined in its Strategic Plan, but they cannot be done without your help. If you wish to provide a helping hand, please check out the call for volunteers and get in touch with current officers.
Hope you have healthy and successful years!
- Annual Election: Meet the Candidates for 2022 Executive CommitteeDr. Christopher ChouinardCandidate for Chair-Elect Dr. Christopher Chouinard is currently an Assistant Professor in the Chemistry Department at Florida Institute of Technology. His research involves novel ion mobility-mass spectrometry (IM-MS) methods for the detection of illicit substances including performance-enhancing drugs. He received his BS degrees in Chemistry and Biology from University of North Carolina at […]
- Fast or Slow…Chemistry Makes It GoJoin the ACS Orlando Section of the American Chemical Society and Orlando Science Center for a community event for National Chemistry Week and celebrate the importance of chemistry in everyday life! Learn about this year’s theme, Fast or Slow…Chemistry Makes It Go, from UCF and FIT faculty and students with 15 exciting activities.
- October 2021’s NewsletterHello Orlando Section! You may have recently received scattered emails from our Section about individual events, opportunities. This Newsletter includes compact information about them, highlighting the important deadlines. The deadline for applying for travel awards from our local section to attend SERMACS 2021 is October 15th, 2021. Details of the awards and how to apply […]
- Annual Awards Banquet InvitationThe Orlando Section of the American Chemical Society will recognize 2021 awards winners in a traditional annual awards banquet on December 4th, 2021. You are invited to attend the banquet: Saturday, December 4th, 202111:30AM to 2:00PMAt the 310 Lakeside restaurant301 E Pine St, Orlando, FL 32801 MENUAppetizers Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese BruschettaFried Green Tomato […]
- Annual Election: Call for 2022 Executive Board Candidates & VotingWe are seeking interested individuals to join the Orlando Section Executive Committee in 2022! We have four positions up for election: Chair Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and Alternate Councilor. A description of each position is included below. Please contact Dr. Denisia Popolan-Vaida (Denisia.Popolan-Vaida@ucf.edu), Nominating Committee Chair, with any additional questions. All nominations (including name of nominee, […]
- Councilor’s Report: 262st National Meeting, Fall 2021The Fall 2021 Meeting was held live from August 22-26, and on-demand from August 30 – September 30. As of August 25th, there were 8,205 registrations (1,895 hybrid and 6,310 virtual). Of the approximately 1,200 oral sessions held, 71 were only in-person, 244 were hybrid, and 855 were held virtually. The Fall Council meeting was […]
- Call for Annual AwardsSince 1991, the Orlando Section of the American Chemical Society has recognized individuals who live, work, or study in the seven-county region of the Orlando Section and excel in chemistry. Continuing this tradition, this year, the Orlando Section will give the following awards: Eileen Tulley Award for Outstanding High School Student Outstanding High School Teacher […]
- July 2021’s NewsletterHello Orlando Section! In this Newsletter, we want to bring your attention to a few exciting opportunities that are available to our members. The Orlando Local Section offers travel awards to students to attend the Florida Annual Meeting and Exposition (FAME), the Southeastern Regional Meeting of The American Chemical Society (SERMACS 2021), and the 262nd […]
- 2021 Student Travel AwardsTo encourage participations of students in local, regional, and national conferences organized by of the American Chemical Society and its affiliates and to create opportunities for students to enhance their scientific experiences and networking, the Orlando Local Section of the American Chemical Society offers travel awards to students who are in need of financial supplement […]
- CATL Division Fall 2021 Student Travel AwardsThe Catalysis Science and Technology (CATL) Division solicits applications for CATL-ChemCatBio Graduate Student Travel Awards that will cover the registration fee of graduate students presenting at the Fall 2021 ACS National Meeting scheduled to be held from 22-26 August 2021. The travel awards aim to further the shared goals of the ACS CATL (https://www.acs-catalysis.org/) and ChemCatBio […]