In 2020, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the Orlando Section has a successful year. Its achievements for the year included the development of Strategic Plan, being named host for the SERMACS 2025 meeting, expanding our social media presence to keep our members up-to-date on section happenings virtually, sponsoring a joint student-run seminar series, and continuing to recognize our excellent members for their hard work and accomplishments.
With the above momentum, the Orlando Section aims to achieve its goals as outlined in its Strategic Plan, but they cannot be done without your help. If you wish to provide a helping hand, please check out the call for volunteers and get in touch with current officers.
Hope you have healthy and successful years!
- Annual Election: Call for 2022 Executive Board Candidates & VotingWe are seeking interested individuals to join the Orlando Section Executive Committee in 2022! We have four positions up for election: Chair Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and Alternate Councilor. A description of each position is included below. Please contact Dr. Denisia Popolan-Vaida (Denisia.Popolan-Vaida@ucf.edu), Nominating Committee Chair, with any additional questions. All nominations (including name of nominee, […]
- Councilor’s Report: 262st National Meeting, Fall 2021The Fall 2021 Meeting was held live from August 22-26, and on-demand from August 30 – September 30. As of August 25th, there were 8,205 registrations (1,895 hybrid and 6,310 virtual). Of the approximately 1,200 oral sessions held, 71 were only in-person, 244 were hybrid, and 855 were held virtually. The Fall Council meeting was […]
- Call for Annual AwardsSince 1991, the Orlando Section of the American Chemical Society has recognized individuals who live, work, or study in the seven-county region of the Orlando Section and excel in chemistry. Continuing this tradition, this year, the Orlando Section will give the following awards: Eileen Tulley Award for Outstanding High School Student Outstanding High School Teacher […]
- July 2021’s NewsletterHello Orlando Section! In this Newsletter, we want to bring your attention to a few exciting opportunities that are available to our members. The Orlando Local Section offers travel awards to students to attend the Florida Annual Meeting and Exposition (FAME), the Southeastern Regional Meeting of The American Chemical Society (SERMACS 2021), and the 262nd […]
- 2021 Student Travel AwardsTo encourage participations of students in local, regional, and national conferences organized by of the American Chemical Society and its affiliates and to create opportunities for students to enhance their scientific experiences and networking, the Orlando Local Section of the American Chemical Society offers travel awards to students who are in need of financial supplement […]
- CATL Division Fall 2021 Student Travel AwardsThe Catalysis Science and Technology (CATL) Division solicits applications for CATL-ChemCatBio Graduate Student Travel Awards that will cover the registration fee of graduate students presenting at the Fall 2021 ACS National Meeting scheduled to be held from 22-26 August 2021. The travel awards aim to further the shared goals of the ACS CATL (https://www.acs-catalysis.org/) and ChemCatBio […]
- Call for nominations for Southern Chemist AwardThe Memphis Local Section of the American Chemical Society seeks nominations for its 2021 Southern Chemist Award, which recognizes distinguished service to the chemical profession in the southern US. Nominees should be US citizens who have worked in the South for at least 10 years and have at least a 10-year record of accomplishment. In […]
- June 2021’s NewsletterHello Orlando Section! Hope that you are having a great start to the summer. In this short Newsletter, beside other information, we want to bring your attention to upcoming the Florida Annual Meeting and Exposition (FAME) and the 72nd southeastern regional meeting of the American Chemical Society (SERMACS 2021). As you may have seen in […]
- CCEW 2021: Orlando Section at Central Florida EarthdayThe Orlando Local Section took part in the Central Florida Earthday on April 25th, 2021 at Lake Eola (Downtown Orlando) to celebrate the Earth Week. This effort was led by Dr. Titel Jucar (UCF) and volunteers. Unlike previous years which had hands on activities for children, this was limited due to CDC guidance for physical […]
- Local Participants in the 2021 U.S. National Chemistry OlympiadThe Orlando Section sponsored the participants of local student in the 2021 U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad (USNCO). Exams were taken in an online format, starting with the Local Exam, on March 27 and 28, 2021. 37 high school students from seven high schools in the Orlando Section 7 county area. Ten students were nominated from […]