Join the Orlando Section of the American Chemical Society for a community event for National Chemistry Week and celebrate the importance of chemistry in Everyday life!
hosted 2022 NCW Illustrated Poem Contest for K-12 students in Central Florida. The theme of the contest is “Fabulous Fibers: The Chemistry of Fabrics.”
The contest received many entries from multiple schools. Thanks to the teachers who brought the contest to students’ attention.
Results of local contest:
Grade 3-5 Category
Winner: Christienne Jette Tenerife from George Marks Elementary
Grade 6-8 Category
Winner: Tyler Segrest from Tuskawilla Middle School
Grade 9-12 Category
The winner of each category will receive a certificate and a monetary award of $50. The teacher who guided the winner of each category will receive a school supply funding of $100.
The winner of each category also advances to the national 2022 NCW Illustrated Poem Contest. The full results of national contest can be found at ACS Website.
If you have any comments or questions regarding the local contest, please contact the local section’s coordinator of the contest (Dr. Duy Le, firstname.lastname@example.org).
The ACS Orlando Section of the American Chemical Society and Orlando Science Center organized a community event for National Chemistry Week to celebrate the importance of chemistry in everyday life!
The Orlando Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS) is hosting an illustrated poem contest for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Entries must be sponsored by a local school or community group for verification purposes.
|Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 11:59 PM Eastern
|One winner will be awarded ($50) for each of the flowing categories:
Grades K-2 Grades 3-5 Grades 6-8 Grades 9-12
The teacher who guided the winner will receive ($100) funding for classroom supplies.
|Duy Le (email@example.com)
|Illustrated poem and submission form must be submitted to https://forms.gle/WXhnVY9WPPZTzVWN7 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Winners of the Orlando Section’s Illustrated Poem Contest will advance to the National Illustrated Poem Contest for a chance to be featured on the ACS website and to win prizes!
How to participate:
Write and illustrate a poem using the CCEW theme, “Fabulous Fibers: The Chemistry of Fabrics.” Your poem must be no more than 40 words and in the following styles to be considered:
HAIKU – LIMERICK – ODE – ABC POEM – FREE VERSE – END RHYME – BLANK VERSE
Possible topics related to the CCEW 2021 theme include:
- Natural fiber
- Synthetic fiber
- Chemical synthesis
- Dyeing fabrics
- Properties of fabrics
Entries will be judged based upon:
|· All poems must be no more than 40 words, and in one of the following styles to be considered: Haiku, Limerick, Ode, ABC poem, Free verse, End rhyme, and Blank verse.
· Entries are judged based upon relevance to and incorporation of the NCW theme, word choice and imagery, colorful artwork, adherence to poem style, originality and creativity, and overall presentation.
· All entries must be original works without aid from others. Poems may be submitted by hand on an unlined sheet of paper not larger than 11” by 14” or scanned and sent via email. Illustrations may be created using crayons, watercolors, other types of paint, colored pencils, or markers. The illustration may also be electronically created by using a digital painting and drawing app on a computer, tablet, or mobile device.
· The text of the poem should be easy to read and may be typed before the hand-drawn or digital illustration is added, or the poem may be written on lined paper, which is cut out and pasted onto the unlined paper with the illustration.
· No clipart or unoriginal images can be used.
· Only one entry per student will be accepted; all entries must include an entry form. If the illustration is created using a digital painting or drawing app, the name of the program must be included on the entry form.
· Acceptance of prizes constitutes consent to use winners’ first name, and entry for editorial, advertising, and publicity purposes.
Join the ACS Orlando Section of the American Chemical Society and Orlando Science Center for a community event for National Chemistry Week and celebrate the importance of chemistry in everyday life! Learn about this year’s theme, The Chemistry of Fabrics, from UCF, FIT, Valencia College faculty and students with 10 exciting activities.
When: Saturday, October 22nd, 2022 (10:00 AM – 4:00 PM)
Where: Orlando Science Center
“FAST or SLOW, Chemistry Makes It Go” event was held at the Orlando Science Center on October 23rd. This effort was led by Dr. Denisia Popolan-Vaida (UCF) and volunteers. Volunteers performed demo/hands-on experiments, which were chosen to fit the National Chemistry Week theme. They also discussed the importance of chemistry in our daily life. There are total of 13 demo/hands-on experiments that were performed by the UCF and FIT faculty and students (5 faculty and 17 students). According to the Orlando Science Center, over 300 kids and adults visited our event. Participant demographics included K-12 students, college students, K-12 teachers, parents, and grandparents.
This event demonstrates our ability to establish collaboration with other organizations. We have managed to get ACS Student Chapter at UCF, Orlando Science Center, University of Central Florida (faculty and students), Florida Institute of Technology (faculty and students) involved in the Section.
Join the ACS Orlando Section of the American Chemical Society and Orlando Science Center for a community event for National Chemistry Week and celebrate the importance of chemistry in everyday life! Learn about this year’s theme, Fast or Slow…Chemistry Makes It Go, from UCF and FIT faculty and students with 15 exciting activities.