Hello Orlando Section!
In this communication, we want to bring some news about upcoming activities of the Orlando section to all members.
- We have just launched our new website (https://orlandoacs.org/). Together with ACS Group Hub and our facebook page, we hope that the website will also be where members and visitors can obtain information and get updated with activities of the local section. We have also decided that all future email communications with members will be done via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chemists Celebrate Earth Week (CCEW): To promote the positive role that chemistry plays in the world, ACS established the Chemists Celebrate Earth Week public awareness campaign. This year, CCEW occurs on April 18–24 with the theme “Reducing Our Footprint with Chemistry”. The Orlando Section participates in the following activities:
- Distributing CCEW 2021 Celebrating Chemistry: Celebrating Chemistry is designed to engage and educate children ages 9–12 (Grades 4–6) in the basic principles of chemistry. The publication is available in English and Spanish and can be found on our website. We encourage you to share the publication to anyone who may be interested.
- 2021 CCEW Illustrated Poem Contest: The Orlando Local Section is hosting an illustrated poem contest for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Winners of local contest will advance to the National Illustrated Poem Contest for a chance to be featured on the ACS website and to win prizes. More details and the Flyer of this contest can be found in our website. We encourage you to share the Flyer with K12’s students and teachers that you may know and to spread the message via social media.
- Participating in Central Florida Earthday: We have secured our presence in Central Florida Earthday at Lake Eola (on April 25th, 10AM-4PM). In this event, we will distribute merchandises, materials about the Earthday and perform chemistry demonstrations. Dr. Titel Jurca (UCF, titel.jurca[at]ucf.edu) will lead this event. Please contact him if you could offer a helping hand.
- We are seeking volunteers: We are actively seeking volunteers to participate/lead our local section’s activities and be appointed to several committees. This month, we focus on the two committees: Senior Chemists, Younger Chemists. Contact us if you are interested.
- Monthly Executive Meeting is open to members. The next meeting occurs at 10AM on Saturday 03/20/2021 via Zoom. If you are interested in joining, please do not hesitate to contact us for meeting link.
- Subscribe to our community page, follow our facebook page, and check out our website for updated news, activities of our local section.